The public beta of iOS 13 was released a few days back which means a lot of new people are going to be updating to iOS 13 without really thinking twice about the bugs or the potential downsides of iOS 13 beta. In this blog, I will show you guys how to safely downgrade from iOS 13 to iOS 12s latest version. The reason you may want to do this is that iOS 13 is in its early beta stages which means there will be apps that are just simply not going to open and there will be other apps that are going to be very buggy.
Maybe you updated to iOS 13 and got to check out some of the new features but now, you want to go back to a stable version of iOS 12. In this post, I’m going to show you exactly how to do that without losing any of your data.
Note: There are a couple of things you have to have in order to do this. The first thing you’ll need is either a Mac or a Windows computer with the latest version of iTunes on it.
Just follow the steps explained below.
Steps To Follow To Downgrade From iOS 13 to iOS 12
- The first thing you need to do is to go ahead and plug your phone into the computer.
2. Open the browser on your computer and go to https://ipsw.me/
3. Select the model of your iPhone and then download the latest version of iOS 12.
4. While the latest version of iOS 12 is downloading on your computer, go ahead and back up your iPhone to iCloud and to iTunes. You really only need the iTunes backup but I recommend you do the iCloud backup as well just to be safe.
5. To back up your device on iCloud, scroll down to iCloud and then scroll all the way down to iCloud backup and make sure iCloud Backup option is turned on.
6. Go ahead and click on Back Up Now!
7. Turn Off Find My iPhone. You will need to do disable Find My iPhone in order to restore your iPhone properly.
8. Now to make an iTunes backup on your computer simply click on backup either in iTunes or if you’re on Mac OS just go into finder and click on Backup.
9. If you’re on Mac computer just go ahead and hold on “option key” and then click on restore iPhone in Finder window. And, for windows computer hold on to Shift key and click on restore iPhone in iTunes and then find the IPSW file for iOS 12 you downloaded and click on open.
10. A new window will pop up saying your Mac will erase and restore your iPhone to iOS 12 and will verify the restore with Apple. Go and click on Restore. This will start the restore process of your Apple device.
11. In the past, you would typically just wait for the restore to finish and then you’d be done but now in iOS 13, we do need to take an additional step to downgrade from iOS 13 to iOS 12.
12. On Mac you want to go to your finder window and then go to Go –> Go To Folder and then you want to go to this folder ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ you can just copy it and paste it into your Go To The Folder window.
13. On your Windows computer, you can find the backup files in C:\Users\(username)\Apple\MobileSync\Backup
14. Select the backup which is at the top, make sure the backups are sorted by date modified. That’s how you’re going to be able to identify the actual backup that you just did.
15. Double click on the backup file and you’ll see info.plist file in it. You need to edit this info.plist file. Right-click on this file and open it with a text editor on Windows or Xcode or Atom on Mac.
16. Press command F on Mac or Ctrl F on windows and type in “version” and just edit version from 13 to whatever version of iOS 12 you are downgrading to and then just go and hit on command s on Mac or Ctrl s on windows to save the file.
17. Once your iPhone gets restored back to iOS 12, you can then use iTunes to restore your iOS 13 backup to iOS 12 to save all of your user data on iOS 13.